In 2018, AOI is going to launch a national awards program that will recognize foster parents and organizations in the U.S. for the great work that they are doing to help foster youth age out of foster care and into independence successfully. We want to identify and share the strategies of those who are finding success so everyone in foster care can learn and benefit from them.
There will be awards for foster parents and organizations that use successful strategies to prepare youth to age out of foster care. There will also be awards for organizations that use successful strategies to support youth after they have aged out:
The 12 winners will be selected from applications submitted by foster parents and organizations that can demonstrate that their strategies are effective in helping youth transition to adulthood. Applications can be downloaded and submitted January 1st through February 28th in 2018.
The basic 2018 timeline is outlined below. The AOI website will continually be updated with more details as the program is developed throughout the remainder of 2017.
- January-February: Award applications and instructions will be posted on the website. Applicants will go to the AOI website to download the application(s).
- March-June: A panel of judges will review the applications and select the winners.
- July: Awards will be ordered and press releases will be written.
- August: Winners will be announced.
- September-December: Winning strategies will be written up as white papers.
- December: Winning strategy white papers will be shared with the foster care community.
Meet the Judges:
Click here to read brief biographies of the eight individuals who have graciously volunteered to be judges for the 2018 AOI Awards Program.
Award Program Mailing List:
Please contact us using the form below if you would like to be put on a mailing list to be kept apprised of the development of the program and notified when we announce that applications are being accepted.